Saturday, July 23, 2011

Three Cows, 2003

This oil on canvas is by Indian artist, Subodh Gupta (Born 1964).  It's called 'Three Cows' and I fell in love with it when I was India last year. Unfortunately I didn't see the original, but I did see a print in the National Gallery of Modern Art, Mumbai.  He takes everyday items, and gives them new life. By exploiting the cliches of India, he transforms them into curious works of art.  Three Cows depicts three bicycles, loaded up with milk cans - a common site in urban areas, where milk is brought in from rural areas, by bicycle.

2 comments:

  1. Wow Caitlyn, I love your blog and this post. I think the connection between milk and where it has come from is often lost, especially in the west. It's a quirky piece that makes you think. thanks for sharing!

    Mandy x
    amoderngirlslife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mandy! Thanks - right back at ya!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete